THE MYTH OF EL DORADO
To walk to the lagoon
of Cacique Guatavita
You will appreciate
- A walk in the beautiful lagoon with moiré reflections.
- The history of the Muiscas in the territory.
- Visit of the Village of Guatavita.
- Visit of the Gold Museum.
- Day 1 :
Walking on the banks of this beautiful lagoon with moiré reflections, you will understand where the source of one of the greatest legends of South America takes place: the golden man. Here, the guide tells you how the cacique of the Indians Chibchas bathed naked, with the body covered with gold particles, to begin serenely his reign. You make contact with the sacred lagoon while discovering how History will make this enthronement ritual a pretext for the most terrible battles.
In order to deepen our study of the precious metal, we continue our day with the unique Gold Museum. Renowned for bringing together nearly 34,000 pieces of goldsmithery and 20000 lithic objects, including ceramics, textiles and precious stones from pre-Columbian cultures, this museum will make your eyes sparkle.
Leaving the place, you cross the galleries of artisans, including the famous passage Rivas, where you can stroll.
Environmental and social responsibility : Average. By visiting the Laguna de Guatavita Park, you participate in the conservation of this sacred lagoon, often looted by settlers. The Muisca culture of some local park guides is exalted.
Special recommendations :
- Get enough sleep before to go in altitude.
- Put on warm clothes and rain gear.
- Take breaks during climbing stages.
- Remember to keep hydrated.
- Apply sunscreen and use sunglasses.
This lagoon is located at 3000 meters above sea level. It is contraindicated to travel there if you have heart problems, if you are pregnant, or if you are traveling with children under six years old.
To travel more eco-friendly :
- Accumulate your garbage during the walk and bring it back to town.
Options to extend :
- Connecting with another getaway.
- All year (check price conditions).
- 115 € / person * - (Price from 3 people).
- 83 € / person * - (Price for 6 people).
*Price supported all year.
Services included :
- Transport in private vehicle.
- Spanish speaking guide in The Guatavita Lagoon (optional English-speaking guide).
- Entrances to the Lagoon and the Museum.
- Medical assistance.
- All taxes included.
- Carbon Offset - (1 tree planted per person in the La Tribu Nature Reserve).
Services Not included :
- English speaking guide.
To book, customize this trip or get information, please fill out the booking form.