HIKING THE EDGE OF THE GLACIER
You will appreciate
- The variety of landscapes, different on each thermal floor.
- The beauty of the vegetation, from wax palm trees to frailejones.
- The gradual acclimatization and effort of the tour.
- The human warmth and professionalism of our guides.
- Evenings around the fire with families of shelters.
- The relaxing bath at the hot springs at the end of the trekking (optional).
- Day 1:
Morning meeting with your guide around a good breakfast in Salento (possibility of organizing the departure from another municipality where you are staying).
Transfer to Valle del Cocora on a jeep willys. Let's go to the adventure!
During the morning hike, you will be surrounded by two magical presences, that of the wax palm trees above your heads, as well as that of the Cardenas River under your feet.
Picnic with panorama along the canyon.
The afternoon is spent between the vapors of the cloud forest, before reaching your shelter, where you will share a warm dinner with the locals. Night in a refuge.
- Day 2 :
Ascent of Paramillo, old glacier. You walk along its sandy and ocher slopes until you reach its summit.
Picnic at the top.
Downhill walk to the farm “La Primavera” where you will spend the night. We take advantage of our passage in the thermal floor of Paramo to discover its incredible vegetation, like the frailejones, and tell you about its huge ecological importance.
Dinner and overnight in a refuge.
- Day 3 :
The way back. We leave the La Primavera farm to reach the Virgin Hill, where you will enjoy an impressive panorama of the paramo.
Walk to our second goal, the place called the "water star" where you will warm up with a typical drink, the agua de panela.
Lunch at the hummingbird house.
Walk back to Valle del Cocora. We cross the Quindio river thanks to its many suspension bridges to find our jeep willys.
Transfer to Salento and end of the trip.
Option 4d / 3N: Transfer to the thermal baths on a duster type vehicle.
Magical evening between night baths and mountain vapors.
Dinner. Night in a comfort cabin.
- Day 4:
Breakfast at the reserve.
Morning dedicated to swimming in the eight baths and hammams of the nature reserve. You quickly forget aches in contact with hot springs!
Lunch at the reserve.
Return by bus in the middle of the afternoon to the destination of your choice (Santa Rosa / Pereira).
Environmental and social responsibility : Strong. Nothing is more ecological than walking! By sleeping in a shelter, you allow a family in the region to live in a remote area while preserving their traditions.
Minimum altitude: 2400 m.
Maximum altitude: 4750 m.
Distance Day 1: 9 km.
Distance Day 2: 13 km.
Distance Day 3: 17.5 km.
This hike takes place at altitude. It is contraindicated to carry it out if you suffer from heart problems, if you are pregnant, or if you are traveling with children under the age of six. It is advisable to have your physical condition assessed and to prepare yourself with regular walks.
Special recommendations :
- Bring an outfit suitable for the high mountains (suitable shoes and not new, warm clothes, rain clothes).
- Get enough sleep before you measure your altitude.
- Remember to hydrate yourself well.
- Apply sunscreen and use protective glasses.
To travel more eco-friendly :
- Collect your trash during the walk and bring it back to town.
Avoid yelling or music so as not to disturb wildlife.
Options to extend :
- A day in the thermal baths of the region (several options).
- An experience on a coffee or cocoa farm.
- All year (check the conditions of the price).
- 244 € / person * - (Price from 2 people - English speaking guide).
- 224 € / person * - (Price from 2 people - Spanish speaking guide).
Option 4D / 3N: from 115 € per person.
*Price supported all year.
Services included :
- Transport by jeep Salento -> PNN -> Salento.
- Entrance to the Los Nevados National Natural Park.
- All meals (Farm breakfast, Walking picnic, dinner in a shelter), as well as snacks during the walk.
- The nights in dormitory.
- The accompaniment of a professional mountain guide.
- Medical assistance.
- The loan of a rain pancho and walking sticks.
- Carbon compensation for the land journey - (1 tree planted per person in La Tribu Nature Reserve).
For the 4d / 3N Option, are also included:
Transport Salento -> PNN -> Spa -> Pereira / Santa Rosa
Night and full board in hotel in the thermal reserve and access to the hot springs.
Services Not included :
- The last day's dinner.
- Mountain clothing (warm clothing, suitable shoes and sunglasses mandatory!).
- Additional tips.
- The souvenirs.
To book, customize this trip or get information, please fill out the booking form.